As I was outside yesterday covering my Bbq and carefully tucking the lawn chairs, barbecue tools and toys back in their cozy hiding place beneath the Bbq cover, I thought of my aunt and the other woman in my life who've taught me some of the best "little tricks" I know.
Here's a list of some of the wonderful woman in my life and the handy "little tricks" I've learned from each of them.
My Auntie Angie: who once told me that every house needs at least one long table cloth for that out of the way emergency clean up and storage. This apparently applies to your deck as well. She also taught me that anything...and I mean ANYTHING can be reinvented with a coat of paint...."if you hate it paint it" I believe were her words of wisdom.
My sister in law Debbie: Who showed me the wonders of sticky back Velcro....even a doorbell will stay attached to your house through a Winnipeg winter with this handy item.
My Baba (Grandmother): Who fixed/closed everything with masking tape. You wouldn't believe what will stay together if you masking tape it! ....imagine what she could have done with duct tape?
My friend Julie: Who says why sew when there's a glue gun handy? Let me tell you how much easier costume making is when you don't need to sew! Apparently you can even hem your pants in a pinch.
My Auntie Monica: Who doesn't buy fake trees for her house she makes them! 2 or 3 inexpensive silk plants, a willow tree, a glue gun and a little concrete later....you've got yourself the nicest fake tree in town! She is also the creator of leftover soup, if it's in your fridge it can be made into soup or a casserole, not holds barred. This also applies to emergency food substitutions, if you don't have breadcrumbs for turkey stuffing use barley....um...maybe not.
My former boss Linda: Who along with showing me how to stack the prefect ice cream also showed me the right way to open a new jar. Inserting a butter knife in just the right place and pushing down on the knife a little will release the seal and make it easy to open.
My Auntie Elaine: Who thought the flower beds needed a little sprucing up at the farm bought some silk flowers and "planted" them in the front beds. Okay, so I'd never do this but it looked great from the road! And I think the town of Annola caught wind of this revelation because they have the tackiest baskets of silk flowers hanging from their light posts. Maybe they need a little help from Auntie Elaine.
My Mom: What can I say? There are so so so many words of wisdom my mom has offered me...I'd need to start a whole new blog (not just blog entry) to tell you them all. But just for good measure, here's one for the record books.....If you've got dog pee spots on the yard and company coming over, just spray paint them green....hmm, maybe she got that one from Auntie Angie...
No comments:
Post a Comment