Wednesday, October 29, 2008

15 days

It's been 15 days since I blogged last, and my last blog was pretty much just a fluff blog. So what's been going on?

Well, I've been busy but I've also been a little depressed.

I'm still struggling with getting on program to lose some weight, my kids have been grumpy and Jeff's been working A LOT. It's been hard...I'm also struggling with the thought of winter around the corner. I've never dreaded winter like this before, and while I do start to get in a funk around February I've never actually worried about it before, not like this anyway. Jeff and I had a good talk before he left (he's away for the week) and decided to make some changes around here that will hopefully help out a little. He's going to come home earlier and I'm going to go to bed earlier. We are going to eat earlier and schedule some "real" playtime with the kids after supper and workout time for Jeff and I after the kids are in bed. I need to sit down and write down a routine for our day too, that's the only way I made it through last winter. I've reached a point where if these changes don't help then I may need to go see a doctor about it. There are days where I'm so miserable I don't want to do ANYTHING.

I've been thinking alot in the last few days about how I'm going to get through the winter without going crazy. Thankfully I am back working at the College a few days a month, so at least I'll get a break every now and then. I'm going to try to plan some outdoor activities for the kids. They just need to get out, or they fight like mad. These four walls are just not big enough some days. I'm also going to make sure we have more playdates this winter, with more neighbours. I'm so lucky to live where I live and I need to use that resource this winter to get through the winter blues.

Where I live there are just under 60 houses and almost all of them have young families. Most of the moms stay at home or work part time and these woman are amazing! They are friendly, giving, kind wonderful woman. We get together monthly to play Bunco, we chat over coffee, visit at the bus stop, chat if someone is in the front yard and lean on one another when we need to. They have to idea, but just having someone to talk to in the morning for 5 minutes at the bus stop lifts me up some days. To know that if I'm in a pinch and need someone to walk Morgan to the bus or drive John to school is wonderful and to know that my neighbours will call on me if they need help is a great feeling too. I can't begin to tell you how nice it is to know that this winter if I'm really feeling down, I could call any of my neighbours and invite them over for coffee and they'll be there in minutes. I really feel blessed to live here...and while it's not totally Leave it to Beaver...it's not Wisteria Lane either!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel ya.. and am totally jealous, I don't even know who my neighbours are. They work, or don't have young families. Is there a moms group or play group in Niverville? that's what gets me through the week. Mondays are the only days I'm home all day, otherwise I'm out every morning, doing something.

Tenille

Dorsey said...

Hang in there gal! I think writing out a schedule will do wonders, and make sure you BOTH do all you can to stick to it. But most definitely if you feel yourself getting into too much of a slump don't hesitate in going to see a professional about it. Your neighborhood sounds great!! It is such a blessing to know that there are people around you that you can lean on from time too time.

Julie said...

Hi sweetie! I would like to make more of an effort to see you more often. I ALWAYS cherished our friendship and I don't want to lose it. We can also plan poker nights if you want! I'm here for you. I too struggle with winter but for the first time in my life we are actually going away in January which has lifting my spirits. Maybe a family trip down south is in order?? I have some ideas for you as well to help through winter blahs/depression. Let me know if you're interested.
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Keep your chin up, girl! It's tough, I know (BELIEVE me, I know) but it gets better.
Good luck to you, keep me posted.

Anonymous said...

I definitely feel your pain hun. Winter just completely sucks the life out of me. VERY good idea planning stuff to do. Luckily I have a baby coming in January to break up the monotony...lol.

Rosie : ) said...

Sounds like a great neighbourhood. It is so cold around these parts now, that we cannot stay outside longer than bringing our children to school. :)

Have you thought that maybe your winter doldrums are more of the SAD kind? My hubby goes throught that every year. I want to get him a full-spectrum light source to help with this. I hear certain vitamins might help too, so we mgiht try that this year. He works in a (windowless) basement, so he gets barely any sunshine during the winter, and it seems to make him a tad depressed. During the summertime, he is outdoors alot, mountain-biking, doing some photography landscape... so winter is rough for him.

Just a thought. :)