Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Is it right to BRIBE your kids?

Okay, so I know I am probably not the only parent out there who bribes thier children. As a matter of fact I recall a certain friend of mines little boy showing me his "bribe toy" a few years ago! But I am always torn when I resort to this tactic.

Is it wrong to bribe your kids??

My most recent bribe involves bedtime. For the past four years I have either rocked, laid with or remained upstairs while Morgan falls asleep. Recently she's been begging me for a Polly Pocket toy, something which is comlpetely new for her. So I decided to seize the moment and bribe my child to go to sleep on her own with mommy and daddy downstairs. With any luck this will work and I will have my evenings back....but what I want to know is, do other people bribe their kids? I always feel terrible when I do it. I mean, I suppose it's better then taking things away...positive reinforcement...sort of....but am I teaching her that you can get what you want from someone by buying them off??

I don't know...what do you think?

No comments: