Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Blue Butterfly

I love the blue butterfly at the top of my blog. Pretty isn't it? They are called Blue Morpho's and are found mainly in Mexico. On our trip there this year we went to an Eco-park that has a butterfly enclosure. There were thousands of these beautiful creatures flying around and they are so big. It almost felt like they were leading you down the path, they'd fly just ahead of you the whole way. It was almost magical.

The most beautiful part of these butterflies is they are different on the outside, then they are on the inside. The outside of their wings are very plain white and brown, still very pretty when you see them closed, but when they open they are that spectacular blue color. I am so intrigued by them. Right from the moment I first saw one I thought, how symbolic of so many things in life. You look at some people or relationships and they appear to be fairly plain and ordinary but on the inside or behind closed doors they are something quite different indeed. Sometimes tasks are like that too, they seem so simple or boring when you first get involved but in the end they turn out to be extremely complicated or fun beyond your wildest dreams.

I chose to put this butterfly at the top of my blog as a reminder to me. To remember to see the beauty in the little things, to look beyond the daily grind at the beauty in the moment. And that I am not just a mom, I am many other things too, that I have interests beyond these four walls and that I need to spread my wings once in a while.

No comments: