I was on the computer waiting patiently for an e-mail from the client and since it seemed to be taking a while *ahem* I figured I'd check out a couple of the other Canadian Mom Blogs on The Mom Blogs site. So there I am innocently clicking away, perusing the 160 odd Canadian mama blogs and WHAM there I am in a predicament. I stumbled on the blog of someone I know, well, I don't know her I know her husband.... knew her husband.
I'll spare you the details but lets just say he and I were friends in high school and into our first year of University. We talked a few times a week, and saw each other when he was in town. Our friendship was complicated, we both knew we had had feelings for one another beyond friendship but we never dated. Didn't I say I'd spare you the details? Anyway to make a long story short he ended our friendship, quite abruptly. He never gave me a reason, he just stopped calling and returning my calls. I was very hurt, I had lost my friend all 'other' feelings aside, we had been friends and that was the worst part. I later found out he was seeing someone, his future wife. I would ramble here about how I would have continued our friendship anyway...but again...details.
It was her blog I stumbled on yesterday. It really threw me for a loop I wasn't quite sure what to do. To read the intimate thoughts of his wife seemed almost intrusive. I felt guilty for even being there. It was like I was looking in their living room window, even though I was there by random chance. I can't help but wonder how I would feel if one of them stumbled on my blog and started reading about my day to day life. I guess it's about intentions really. I didn't look through her blog to be nosey, or to compare their life to mine, it's not like I went looking for it, it was just there. Maybe I should have just closed the page and checked if my e-mail had arrived but I didn't. I read parts of her blog. Why? I don't know. She is a very good writer by the way and they seem very happy. I'm happy for him, he's very successful and has a beautiful family. I doubt I'll go back there anytime soon, again because I'd feel like I was peeking in windows.
What is our infatuation with reading blogs anyway? Is it the peeping Tom in us? And what about those of us who write blogs? Are we exhibitionists? What is our fascination with knowing we have an audience? Why should it matter? Why are we interested in reading about someone elses day to day life and why doesn't seem all together different when it's someone we know?
Perhaps I shouldn't have drop out of University, perhaps I should have just switched and taken Psychology....
1 comment:
You showed a lot more restraint than I would have! I would have been ALL up in her business! I prefer "curious" as opposed to "nosy".
What IS our fascination with other bloggers? It's strange, really, if you think about it. Why do we set our blogs to "public" and let perfect strangers read about our day-to-day lives? And worry that they're judging us?
Hmmm... if you do decide to sign up for a psychology class, let me know... I'm in. I'd like to know just how crazy I am... hehe.
Post a Comment