So
With Morgan (who was over 3 when she gave up her soother) we did a similar thing. When it became 'time' (aka when she really was too old for it) we started to suggest that she give her soother to the soother fairy when she was ready and that the soother fairy would bring her any toy she wanted. One morning about a week after we started to really PUSH the soother fairy she walked into my room and said "Here Mommy, can we give this to the soother fairy today?". I was shocked that it was that easy, I ran to the store and bought her a cuddle toy in the hopes that would ease her loss in the night and the toy she had decided she wanted. That night we put the soother in a fancy little bag under her pillow and the soother fairy came and left the gifts. She didn't cry once, not a drop, one night she was looking a little teary eyed and said she missed it but other then that nothing! Why? because it was HER choice, she knew she decided. We praised her for what a big girl she was and gave her lots of extra cuddles that week. She was really proud of herself and instead of ripping it away from her and making her feel like she had no control over the situation we let her decided and gave her a sense of pride and responsibility.
I also used a similar tactic to get John off the bottle. We told him one day that "soon" he'd have to give his bottles to another little baby. I kept asking him, "are you ready to give up your bottle?". One day he said yes, so we put them in a gift bag and drove them to our local Value Village and dropped them off. I told him it was the baby store, he was happy with that explanation. Then went next door to Toys R Us and let him shop for a big boy toy. He cried that night but didn't ask for his bottle because again, he knew HE decided. In both cases I disposed of the items of completely, they were gone so that no one would accidentally find one and also so that if things got 'hairy' I wouldn't cave in.
We are almost there with John and his soother. We've started discussing what toys he might want from the soother fairy and let him know his soother will be given to a much smaller baby for them to love. For now we'll just start the weening process and go from there.
1 comment:
I agree with keeping the soother in the bedroom and only having it while sleeping-if for no other reason than I still have mine from my childhood parked right under my pillow. NO LIE! This is actually my 'mommy confession' I'm going to write about for Michelle-as soon as I get around to it.
My daughter is 3 1/2 and still has 2 soothers. I have no intentions of having her dispose of them anytime soon. I'm more concerned with her getting sleep, not what she sleeps with.
Oh, and I didn't just rock her, but HELD her for almost the entire first year of her life while she slept. The result? She still sleeps and average of 14 hours/day--and she's smart as a whip!
SO, I agree with everything you are doing and you sound like such a 'present' mom to your kids. Wow. I'm glad I found you!
(sorry to hijack your post like this)
Post a Comment